Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2016

Calm down

I'm not too sure if you're a bit like me?

But most times when I hear a piece of bad news, I immediately get anxious and start to think the worst.

My heart rate starts to quicken and I feel myself getting worked up. It's taken me years but nowadays I have to remind myself to keep calm. Some days I still default to panic, panic, panic.

But, I try to reassure myself that things may not be as it seems.

Of course this is not so easy when things are happening fast, when it's an emergency, when someone's health is on the line.

I've tried meditating but my mind can't focus for too long.

Everyone has a different method that works for them. Everyone has a system for centring and calming down.

I find deep breathing and saying a simple prayer helps.

And also being grateful. Being grateful is a very simple way to show appreciation and it also does put things into perspective.

A calm perspective is a good thing to have. It's not easy in the heat of the moment.

It's not easy at all.

Of course, trying to be calm about major life decisions is a whole other ball of wax. Major decisions like buying a house, changing careers, etc can be quite daunting.

And having been through both over the last few years I can only say one thing - take it one day at a time, plan, plan, re-plan, re-visit first plan, cry about foiled plan, start again, stop, re-start, curse the process.

But.

It will all come to an end.

Just stay calm, nothing lasts forever, even the crappy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment