Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 21, 2013

To my body: I'll never take anything for granted again with you

A friend of mine has MS. He's my age and lives in England. A really nice guy, a lawyer by profession.

Every year he comes to Trinidad to be with his family for a bit. Because of his condition he must be in England for treatment. I'm not too sure how much family he has in England, and having friends and family around does make things easier.

I guess that's one saving grace of living here, having a network of people that can help support you in any given situation.

But here in Trinidad I don't know if we have the right sort of treatment for MS, and it is a sad, crippling disease, one that robs a person of everything.

My friend now gets around in a wheelchair.

There was a show in Shakers on the Ave last night here in Trinidad, and he came to be with all of us and hear another mutual friend of ours play in the band Buzzrock. He wanted to go inside, he wheeled himself up to the stairs and we helped him up the five steps.

It was humbling to see.

Everyone offered to help and get out of his way, folks offered chairs. It was a wonderful display of human kindness.

He sat right in front of the stage and took it all in.

But it was also very sobering to see how this wretched disease takes away the one thing we so take for granted - the ability to walk, to move our hands, legs, our entire body any way we like.

If there was ever one wish I could be granted is this - that all human suffering (physical, mental and spiritual) will someday soon, eventually cease. That everyone will be cured of every affliction.

Sterling, I hope and pray that someday you will be completely cured of your condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment