Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 2, 2011

First solo gig in years


You know, life really is a funny thing. Ever notice sometimes when you think of something it 'mysteriously happens'? Just this past weekend, I was thinking of the last time I did a solo gig in Trinidad (eight years ago), and my last solo performance in Toronto (November, 2008); and I thought 'Man, it sure has been a while, maybe sometime again I'll do one'.

I'm not overly fond of playing solo, I prefer a band format. Playing solo is being in the spotlight, all by yourself, and everyone is looking at YOU to deliver the goods. And it better be good!

So, I put that thought out of my head and went on with my weekend. No harm, it's a thought, nothing else.

Monday morning rolls around and I get a call from the booking agent at Fiesta Plaza in Movie Towne. He says there's an open spot this saturday - October 1st and would I like to play?

Well.......I had to plan a set quickly and let him know before mid-day. And so, it came to pass that I ended up playing last night, at Fiesta Plaza, my first solo gig in Trinidad in eight years.

I was a bit nervous at the start, but that disappeared by the third song. It always takes me a while to get into the swing of things.

The crowd was a sit-down, have dinner/drinks audience. So it was a bit quiet, but I got them to sing along on at least three occasions and they were very appreciative.

Most of my guitar students came and brought their parents. My family and friends came as well, and all in all, I think a good time was had by everyone in attendance.

Phew!

When's my next show you ask? I have no idea.

We'll see what happens next......

No comments:

Post a Comment