Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Don't take it personally

I had a lil slap in the face this week. I posted a link to a recording I did back in 1996, with one of my first bands - Brothers Grimm.

I sent it out as a group email on Facebook. Some people replied to the email, which was a nice surprise, but others started 'leaving' the conversation. I started to think maybe I shouldn't have sent out the email in the first place.

What's worse is the people who left were in most cases, long-time fellow musicians. I apologized to everyone on that email for any irritation I might've caused by sending out such an email.

One or two folks replied to say that many people don't like getting notifications from strangers in a group email all the time, and hence they 'leave' the conversation.

I'm trying not to feel a bit slighted by my friends, but it's hard not to. Still, I guess what's done is done and I'll know better next time.

It was probably more than naive of me to assume that everyone on that 'email' would want to hear the music I sent in the web link, and it was probably even more stupid to assume that they want to get email alerts all the time from various people, including me.

Nevertheless, I do find to take oneself out of an email without at least even sending a 'lil note to the initial sender to say 'Hey, thanks but I don't like being a part of this' more than a bit rude.

But then again, that's just me. I'm sure my 'friends' who deleted themselves from the email thread will say I was more than presumptuous to include them in a group email.

I guess it's all a matter of perception and Internet etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment