Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Speed and Sound


On another totally separate note, I was observing something in church and in yoga class.

I think all humans have a fundamental ability to speed up a piece of music. We naturally speed things up, it just feels as if we're keeping time, but we're speeding up the tempo bit by bit. It's totally normal.

The next thing is, when we sing in a group we lose pitch. We start off in one key and we either go flat or sharp (i.e. lower or higher than the initial key we started the melody in). As a group it feels natural but we are losing key ever so slightly.

I think our ear, as precise as it may be, is not our best tool for zeroing-in on perfect pitch and correct timing.

At least, that's what I think.

But I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment