Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blessed are the peacemakers yes, but blessed are the jackasses?


So yesterday at mass, the gospel reading was about turning the other cheek.

You know, giving your shirt off your back if someone sues you in court, befriending your enemy and praying for them. Don't just be kind to your friends, be kind to strangers (okay that's do-able) and your enemies as well (are you kidding me?)

In that way, you will be perfect, or at least be aspiring to be perfect like Jesus.

Now, I've heard some of this before,and maybe I am a cynic, but I'd like to ask Jesus and God if this means tolerating ill-treatment over a prolonged period of time? And this could be from anyone? Family, friend, co-worker, boss, lover, and yes enemy.

On the other hand, we always hear people say 'Be good to yourself' and 'You can't love others if you don't love yourself'

So how can I truly love myself if when someone hits me, I turn the other cheek?

Seems to me it's a bit of a contradiction.

I think, and I could be wrong, but maybe when someone does us wrong, we're supposed to be as compassionate and as understanding as possible and leave it to God to be the last and only judge regarding that situation and all parties involved.

Now that being said, leaving things in God's hands is about as hard as trying to find a decent driver here on the roads of Trinidad, one who obeys all the laws, you know the stuff most common sense people OUGHT to know how to do??

But that's another blog entry on common sense here in Trinidad. Oh yes indeed.

But anyway, not acting out any acts of wild, hateful vengeance is a tough nut to swallow, even if we are right. But my beef is, I can almost tolerate walking away, but why do I have to stand up and turn my other cheek? What, do I like abuse? Don't I like me on some remote level to know when I've tolerated enough crap?

And what about Karma? Don't we all have karma to repay for acts of non-kindness that we ALL do?

So God, If you happen to read my blog tonight, I'd like to say that I don't get that whole 'turn the cheek' thing. Aren't we supposed to stand up for what's right, without causing harm to anyone else? Isn't that our right as human beings? To fight for what's right?

Sure, I can walk away and 'Let go and let God', sure no probs, I hate doing that, but I'll do it! But can't I save my other cheek for myself and my 'lil bit of pride that's still left?

I don't need an answer right away. Whenever you're ready is fine by me. But I just thought I'd tell you that yesterday's sermon and gospel reading confused the holy crap outta me.

No comments:

Post a Comment