Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 3, 2011

APRILFEST 2011


So, in a rather surprise turn of events, we - THe SONic REVIVal PROJect, got picked to open this year's APRILFEST at Pier 1.

Now APRILFEST is one of three shows put on by 95.1 Radio Station. It features mainly 'tribute bands'. It always bothers me to an extent that so many thousands of people would come to hear a tribute band but would not support a local band putting on a smaller gig in a pub for instance.

Now, I'm not a fan of cover bands (although my first band was a Thrash Metal cover band, but then again, I was 16 at the time). And that being said I'm not a fan of Tribute bands either.

But, a gig is a gig. So we agreed to open the show. During soundcheck the bands were all nice guys and time for to play the show the crowd response was rather receptive and friendly to us playing our originals mixed in with a few covers.

Not what I expected at all. I thought we were sitting ducks ready to be heckled off-stage by a crowd that just wanted to hear cover after cover from these tribute bands.

Walking through the crowd after our performance was the real highlight for me. Tons of folks stopped us, asked to take pictures with us, said they really enjoyed the set. Some even said we were the best band and should've closed the show.

Me personally, I don't think people would've stayed back to hear a local band, but still, it was nice to hear that from some people.

That was very humbling and gratifying to hear. We reached out to an audience who only listen to a station that plays mostly 80s' music. Now I like the 80s. But I couldn't listen to it all the time.

There's so much more great music out there that deserves airplay. Starting with more local underground content. Inasmuch as 95.1 does play local music, it's only for an hour and a half on a thursday night starting from 10PM. People do listen to it, but for sure we need more legislation to get radio stations like 95.1 to play more local content during Prime Time hours.

Canada for example has Cancon. Canadian content on radio stations must be at least 40%! and yet still, underground indie artists argue that most of that 40% belongs to Celine Dion, Bryan Adams and Michael Buble!

Yet, still after that show last night, I can't help but feel a 'lil lighter and hopeful about the state of affairs in TNT. I do hope legislation passes to get more local content on radio. I do hope local underground original bands get more airplay and gigs in bigger venues.

I hope more and more trinis open their minds to original music.

I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment