Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 27, 2011

West Side at Napa...what a show! but why did people laugh at the wrong scene?


So the musical - West Side Story played at NAPA (National Academy for Performing Arts) over the last two weekends here in Trinidad. So I went last night, my first time inside NAPA and what a place!

I'm not really a big fan of West Side Story, it's too sad, but the local cast comprising teenagers from various high schools as well as adults did an excellent job in my books. I'm no theatre critic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was shocked and highly irritated when kids and adults started to laugh at the end when Maria grabs hold of the gun from Chino after Tony has been murdered and starts to say now she can kill too, because she hates now.

Now, I ask you 'what the hell is funny about that?' If it's one thing that gets me irritated and ashamed of Trinis is how easily we make a joke of everything. It's serious part, the saddest part of the whole darn play and people are laughing? Are you kidding me? 

Why?

Come on Trinis, grow a spine and learn about proper etiquette would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment